Looking for space to put an exercise room, entertainment center playroom or office? Go underground! If your home has an unfinished basement, remodeling might be a great way to transform this commonly under-used space.
When considering a basement remodel, start by making a list of how you want to use the space. Be sure to think about the location of your furnace, washer and dryer, electrical panel and any other large appliances. There are items that can be moved and some we will have to work around.
Take note of:
- Access to basement from upstairs and outside.
- Location of existing plumbing if you want an additional bathroom
- Location of vertical support columns
- Location of windows and doors
- Floor/ceiling/wall materials.
- Amount of water the area gets.
Given their constant contact with the earth, basements are vulnerable to dampness, which makes basement remodeling a bit more complex than first meets the eye. Riverview Contracting will help you take appropriate measures to ensure a room free of moisture.
Most basements in older Northen Neck homes have low ceilings and few windows. There are many creative ways to make your basement light and airy. Talk to us about the variety of wall and ceiling lighting options available. We’ll make sure to provide appropriate electrical lines and outlets.
Here are some tips of the trade we ask clients to think about when making their underground space first class.
- Stay away from dark wood paneling and instead consider drywall painted in light tones to make the room brighter. Semi-gloss paint will gently reflect even more light into the room.
- Open up the visual space. Double doors – even glass double interior doors – take away the typical cubicle look. Or, how about a rounded archway or pass-through area from one room to another?
- Check to see if exiting windows can be enlarged. Or, consider installing a small boxed window for a mini-garden to grow herbs or start plant seedlings. In some case we may even be able to cut a new window into the existing foundation wall.
- Built-in books cases and entertainment units add richness and depth to a room. Light them with interior lights or from the top to cast a light downwards.
- Disguise vertical support beams and horizontal ceiling pipes for floor joists by boxing them in. Or, you might decide to actually use pipes and beams as interesting accents by painting them with bold colors or subtle earth tones.
An unfinished basement is much like a diamond in the rough – unexplored splendor awaiting your discovery.
Our team has been working with families like yours for over 20years. And it is important to us that everyone works together to create the best possible experience. If you have questions about your home improvement project please let us know.